Tuesday, April 27, 2010

"I am She-Ra!"

I love living in Texas, but as anyone knows who has lived in this part of the United States, bugs are bound to get in your house no matter what you do.  Luckily, it doesn't happen very often.  As I walked in the kitchen I glanced up and caught sight of one of the biggest tree roaches I've ever seen!  Of course, Jason had just left for work and I just stood there for about two minutes trying to figure out what to do.  I could hear Jackson was awake and decided to get him up and feed him breakfast, but I wouldn't walk through the doorway from the kitchen to the dining room, opting for the long route through the living room, foyer, and office.  After the many trips necessary to feed and clean a nine month old, I decided I needed to be brave and just handle the situation instead of hoping it would stay there until Jason came home. 

I grabbed my favorite tree roach killing book (a large, flexible music encyclopedia that has proven very easy to clean), the stepladder, and some spray cleaner - I'm still not sure why, maybe because it was already on the counter.  So I had to get somewhat close because the mist doesn't extend that far and I sprayed it!  Now this is after a few minutes of pumping myself up, so when I saw that the roach didn't move or seemingly care that I sprayed it,  I almost gave up.  If ice ages and nuclear blasts can't kill these things, what on earth was I doing?  I called Jason to update him on the situation, and he quickly offered that I should use the bug spray .. bug spray, why didn't I think of that?  I felt rejuvenated.  Again, I could do this!  So I grabbed my book, stood on the ladder, took aim, and blasted the thing!  It started running from the wall to the ceiling.  Running .. upside down, gross.  I was still spraying and spraying, trying to get it to slow down or just die!  It finally fell from the ceiling to the floor (at which I let out a yelp, I admit).  Luckily for me, it landed on it's back and I gave one of the most beautiful frisbee tosses with the music encyclopedia and BLAM!  No more roach.  Well, still roach, but dead roach smashed on the floor. 

After my victory jumps and fist pumps I went about my day, because while I may occasionally get the courage to kill bugs, I don't clean them up.  That is Jason's job.  At least this one was dead, unlike the few I've left alive under mixing bowls.  (Dad, if you are reading this, is this bringing back memories?)  All in all, a pretty good day for me, and for you, since I decided not to include any pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment