Monday, May 10, 2010

Can You Say "Adobe?"

Nothing says Mother's Day like chaperoning a band trip to San Antonio!  We actually had a great time and the kids were fantastic, but let's start with our do-re-mi's.  Matt, Linda, Jackson, and I left late in the afternoon Friday and met up with everyone for dinner.  Apparently a four hour car ride is all you need to make a best friend for life.  At least, that's how it happened for Jackson.  Matt sat and fed and played with Jackson the entire time which made the drive too easy.  He is now our official car nanny. 


We went to Six Flags on Saturday and Jackson got to experience his first "ride."


Okay, so he doesn't look like he's loving it, but maybe this next picture is slightly more convincing.


Jackson's second official ride was the train.  If he's moving, he's happy.


Jason and I love roller coasters, and the best roller coaster I've ever ridden is The Rattler.  Why?  Because there were three distinct times on the ride that I thought we were going to die.  It's a wooden roller coaster that not only rattles as it moves, but also rattles everything in you.  Katie walked away with an impressive bruise, and I think Jason may have caused bruising on some of my internal organs.  May 8, 2010 marked the first and last time I will ever ride The Rattler.


The day ended with Jackson getting a stuffed Pokemon toy from one of the kids.  Originally he let Jackson see it, and then he didn't want to let it go .. voila!  Gift!


I got a gift too - some Rips!  We don't find them very often, so yes, they actually were a great early Mother's Day gift (along with a book from one of my favorite authors).


We went to SeaWorld on Sunday and I was pleasantly surprised!  They had rides, a water park, and lots of shows and exhibits.  Jackson, again, did not have a lack of playmates.  Thanks Jerry for taking your turn.


We caught the orca show and I realized too late that we were in the fatal splash zone.  We were about two feet away from getting drenched when the whale stopped flipping its tail, and while we did get misted on earlier that day, getting wet from rain and getting soaked in whale water are two entirely different things.


Jason, Matt, and Katie fed some dolphins.  I opted out.  Dolphins can't smell, so what's stopping them from trying to eat my finger rather than the small fish that is the same size as my finger?  They walked away with all 30 fingers .. this time.  Jason told me they felt like bowling balls covered in wet leather.  I will take him at his word.



The aquarium was pretty amazing.  Jackson has an octopus bath toy that he tried to release in the wild.  If he had it his way, I think he'd be swimming in there too.


Ah, the life.


It took us a while to figure out what to get Jackson for his first band trip, which Linda said were the only trips he is going to be allowed to take from here on out.  At the last minute, I decided to get him a whale bowl from the restaurant where we ate lunch (thanks to Katie for the inspiration!).  Even though we were driving home from SeaWorld, I still wanted to be at the front of the park by the time the kids were leaving.  So I decided to put my half marathon training skills to the test and booked it to the restaurant and back in record time.  I must have looked ridiculous running to a restaurant, hurriedly purchasing an orca bowl with tail cookies, throwing the cookies away outside the restaurant when I realized I didn't want them and couldn't run back without them falling out (much to Jason's dismay), and then flying back.  But I got a good workout and Jackson got his bowl.  A successful weekend all around!


No comments:

Post a Comment