Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Hoodwinked

Of all the nights to leave my camera at home charging.  Tonight was the Dessert Soiree hosted by the Freeport Intermediate band program.  The concert and symphonic bands each played pieces from their UIL contest, along with a few pop songs.  Matt started the concert by welcoming everyone .. and let's rewind.

About three weeks ago I received a phone call from Matt during the school day, so already I knew something must be up.  He dove into his grand scheme to totally surprise Jason at the Dessert Soiree with a guest conducting experience.  The piece, so appropriate for Jason, Single Ladies by the one, the only, Beyonce Giselle Knowles (yes, I had to look up her whole name). 

So for the past three weeks Matt has waited for Jason to leave his rehearsals so his group could practice.  He would pass out and collect the music each time they rehearsed because Jason would take different groups or individuals out and would sometimes flip through their folders.  We are talking major work here!  Impressively, I kept my lips sealed, only sharing winks and smiles with Katie and Matt at Six Flags when a Beyonce song came over the loudspeaker and Jason began his usual rant about the "singer."

About an hour and a half before the concert, Jason called me to tell me he wouldn't even be there till about an hour in because of confused kids not picking up their instruments at the high school (the marching band was playing at the end of the concert to get everyone excited about the upcoming season).  As soon as I got off the phone with Jason I called Matt!  Quickly, Linda and Matt decided to ask Jason to run sound, thus getting him to the concert on time. 

Okay, we are back to the beginning.  Matt asked Jason if he would come up and conduct the first piece of the night.  So Jason, much surprised, walked up to the podium and looked at the score which said Night On Bald Mountain at the top (one of his favorite pieces).  He looked pleasantly excited, until he scanned the score again, thinking to himself, "this looks nothing like Night On Bald Mountain."  The kids were giggling by this point, so Matt and the kids help Jason get the piece started as a look of understanding washed across his face.  He turned to Matt, then me, with a huge grin on his face.  Priceless!  Matt and I are such tricksters!  All the kids played well and the desserts were fabulous .. including the entire German chocolate cake we brought home.  This night will probably go down in history as the only time Jason will ever conduct a Beyonce song.  Thanks Matt!


This was the best I could do, taking a picture from my phone.  Come to think of it, I should have taken a video!  Jackson is perched on Jason's lap, watching ever so intently.  It's kind of like a Where's Waldo.

No comments:

Post a Comment