Friday, July 23, 2010

Year of the Ox

Jackson is 1!  What a year, what a year!  I will provide a somewhat quick recap.  Jackson was born one week past his due date, but it turned out to be quite the blessing.  Jason finished the floors a few days before and I just finished painting his crib and organizing his room the day before (not that he would use it for another six weeks).  I was scheduled to be induced the very night he decided he was ready.  We arrived at the hospital around 10:00 p.m. and he was born, with a little help, at 2:27 a.m.


8 pounds, 1 ounce and 21 1/4 inches long!  He did great and we got to go home as soon as was permissible.  Jason picked out his homecoming outfit.

 
These are some of my favorite pictures from the first few months.








And this brings us to the point when I started this blog.  See, I said it would be somewhat quick.  Back to the present!  We love birthdays, and that may be understating the situation a bit.  It looks like Jackson had a little more sparkle in his eye when he woke up, so I think he understood.


We needed to run to the store for a few last minute birthday items and stopped at McDonald's for a Happy Meal.  Jackson grabbed a chicken nugget for each hand and held on for dear life, but he did end up eating most of them.


After such a manly meal, Jackson decided to wrestle a bear.


Meanwhile, Jason and I finished the cakes.  Jason figured that to commemorate a child's first birthday, we should have a cake that looked like a child made it, hence this masterpiece.


My favorite is the exclamation point with smaller exclamation points on top!  Elder Jenson's birthday is also today, so he came over to celebrate and even got to take the Sneetches star round cake with him.  He goes home in about a month and we will definitely miss him!  I decided to try out a Boots cake for Jackson.  Just remember that I am no professional!


6 o'clock rolled around and the party was soon underway!  When it came time for Jackson to enjoy his cake, he started off slowly, going for one of Boots' eyes (he is a self defense natural).  Aside:  Boots' eyes are Junior Mints.  I had NO idea that Junior Mints are like mini York Peppermint Patties.  Where have I been?  How will I make up for this lost time?! 


Now a wonderful series of events ..






Demolished is the only fitting word for what happened to Boots.  After a quick shower and change of clothes, Jackson was ready for presents!  A huge thanks to everyone who came and celebrated with us.  I'm sure I'll include pictures of the great presents you got him in upcoming posts.  He has already broken in his shape sorter, cement truck, and keyboard.  I can't wait for him to wear his dinosaur raincoat and his mini-Matt outfit!  Yes, yes, presents are fun, but I think Jerry's magic trick was the highlight of the evening.  He starts with two rabbits, places them both in one fist, opens his fist, and then PRESTO, many, many, many rabbits (that is the G-rated version).  Each of the Handly girls got a turn!


It was such a great day.  Thanks again to everyone who attended and thanks to our family members who weren't able to join us, but left some great messages!  We are looking forward to another wonderful year!



No comments:

Post a Comment