Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Cut me, Mick.

This post serves a two-fold mission:  to officially declare that I am racing the swimming leg of a relay triathlon, and to show you what happens when "someone" loses your favorite goggles.  Now that the word is out, I will hopefully train harder so I won't have to report to you that I sank. 

Goggles are probably the hardest thing for which to shop.  I'm getting ahead of myself.  Why did I have to buy new goggles?  Jason lost mine.  It's not his fault, they radiated sheer awesomeness and he just wanted to try them too.  Moving on.  Imagine my shock when I head to Academy for some new goggles and a salesman tells me they will no longer carry them as they are "out of season."  Really?  It's August and we are in Texas.  We still have months of perfectly fine swimming weather, and why would a sporting goods store not keep goggles in stock?  Golf supplies and baseball bats are available all year!  I was forced to buy some Speedo goggles from Target which turned out to be horrible.  The search continued.  I knew I had an extra pair at home so I decided to give them another try today.  All I did was attempt to suction them on and when I quickly realized why I never used them, I caught sight of THIS in the mirror!


They apparently caused some sort of skin surface blood patch!  I promise it looks more intimidating in person.  You can't see it here, but I have a faint one on the other eyelid too.  I'm trying to look tough above, but this picture more accurately describes the situation.


I'm thinking to myself, "this could only happen to me," which I often think about the ridiculous things that happen, well, only to me.  I finally found some Nike junior goggles that fit correctly.  Problem.  They are clear!  Oh the humanity!  I very much dislike clear goggles on the basis of fashion.  Yes, goggles can be fashionable, like the smokey grey tinted goggles I usually wear.  Do you think I'm being unreasonable?  Check this out:


Definitely not.  If you are lucky, I'll post pictures from the triathlon with me in my swim cap.  Until then, enjoy this little gem.

No comments:

Post a Comment