Of course I don't have any pictures of the first few, but I do remember having a snow drift up to our roof one year. I also remember making paths and forts in our yard. Whenever our hands would start getting cold and wet, we would run up to the front door and my mom would put dry socks on our hands so we could keep playing. One of my most vivid memories is playing on our Care Bear swing set. Either Laura or Marlo was pushing me in the star swing and I flew out (snowsuits are slippery), did a somersault in the air, and landed on my back in a huge pile of snow. It was amazing!
I was walking into school one morning my freshman year of high school and stepped on what I thought was a puddle of water, but it turned out to be frozen solid. So my legs flew out from under me, my books and papers went skyward, and my swim parka created a parachuting soldier effect as I sank to the ground. I remember starting to laugh and my best friend came running up to me, laughing hysterically as well. Thank goodness for best friends.
During my senior year of high school, I spent spring break with my sister in Salt Lake City. One of her friends took us snowboarding for the first time .. on a real mountain! It was difficult to find my balance at first, but I had so much fun. Danielle bruised her tailbone and I had to drive her to class for a few days.
Finally, a picture. This was taken outside my window my freshman year of college at NYU.
That is the fire station across the street that was in charge of our fire drills. We lived on the eighth floor and could always hear the announcement that we were going to have a drill before it happened, so we didn't always evacuate our apartment. Come on! Eight flights of stairs! Please don't tell. There were a few times the elements were so bad that the bridges were closed, leaving professors and students commuting from the other boroughs unable to get to campus and us with no class. Sad, I know.
I had the chance to do all my Christmas shopping before I went back to Ohio. The sun was shining, it was snowing, and I was carrying bags of Christmas toys. A bike messenger stopped next to me as we waited to cross the street and turned and struck up a quick conversation. He wished me a Merry Christmas and raced off when the way was clear and I could hear him whistling a holiday tune. How amazing is that?!
Another year, another major, another school. Slayter Hill was not too far from my dorm at Purdue. We had been hearing about the possibility of snowfall during the night. So, at three in the morning, a few of us went to Slayter Hill to behold feet of untouched snow. Sort of like this:
Seizing the opportunity, we demolished it by rolling down the hill multiple times and having a full out snow war. At least we packed down the snow for the dozens of sledders later that day.
When we moved to Texas in February of 2007, we were racing an ice storm south. I'm a little sad to say that my snow memories have completely changed from that time on. Oddly enough, it has snowed here. In 2004 the coast looked like this:
Look at the tree trunk. Do you see it now?
All this talk of snow is accelerating my urge to put up our Christmas tree and play Christmas music. We can't hold out much longer.



No comments:
Post a Comment